I have an 87' LX and was curious about an air vent knob that is located on the left side of the front fairing (my left knee would be facing the knob when I am on the Cade).  It is a vertical assembly with OPEN at the top and CLOSE at the bottom.  There is about three inches of travel from top to bottom.  However, it does not work, it is stuck in the OPEN position.  When the cover and the map pocket are taken out I can see the compressor and a pulley type linkage that is associated with the air vent knob.  I have not completely taken off the fairing on that side yet.  I looked at my factory maintenance manual and there is no mention of this air vent system nor are there any photos or illustrations of the mechanism.  Anybody have any idea how to fix it? ~ John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John, there are 2 sliding windows in the lower fairing one on each side that open and close for additional air flow in hot weather.  If there is a cable problem windows may not slide up (open) when lever is moved. ~Al from Mass
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is a cable assembly for the lowers on an LXE. If you don't have lowers, this will do you no good. If you do, it is just stuck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would try putting oil in the cables first. Mine are tight but operable.  They work better in the winter when I don't need them (plastic contracts).  Also make sure that the nylon wheels are rolling freely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found that if you beat the WD40 and just finesse it, it got mine to loosen up just be slow and gentle and it will loosen off. ~ Gary 86:LX
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another comment on the vent lever problem.... When I was repairing my Cade this winter, one of the things I needed to fix was the vent doors.  In my case, the vent lever had become disconnected from its mounting.  What I found was that both screws had fallen out but the cables were still in place.

The new right lower fairing came with cables and all, and I noticed that the new ones moved very easily.  The old ones on the bike were stiff.  The best way to lubricate a cable is with powdered graphite.  The problem is getting to the cable to do this.  On my speedometer cables on older cars, I actually pulled the inner cable out of the casing and dumped the lubricant into the casing and put the cable back in.  But that is not possible in this case since the inner cable is "terminated" at both ends.

What probably needs to be done is to expose the cables at both ends (big job--you need to remove the fairing extensions and disassemble them---and remove the left main faring to see the top ends).  Then lubricate the exposed parts of the cable and "just finesse it", it will work.  I would start with the top end first, however.  You may be able to see them from the top, just behind the compressor. ~ Good luck, Gerry from Littleton